Three Natural Pre-workout Drinks To Boost Your Energy
Exercising on an empty stomach can affect the intensity of your workout session and the same happens when you have a meal right before you hit the gym. So what could be the solution to having a great and intense sweat session? Some nutritious pre-workout drinks!
So here are three healthy and nutritious pre-workout drinks for you. Read on….
Orange Flaxseed Drink
Oranges are good sources of potassium, magnesium, B1, B2, B3, B6, and folate. Flax oil (or hempseed oil) will slow down the release of fruit sugar into the bloodstream, giving you a steady supply of energy to boost your workout session. So it’s great as a pre-workout drink. Here is how to prepare it:
- 5 peeled seedless oranges
- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed flax oil or hempseed oil
Add a little cold water (about half a cup) and blend. Drink slowly.
Carrot, Apple, Beetroot and Ginger Juice
Beetroot juice is a great source of nitrate, which widens blood vessels, thus lowering your blood pressure and allowing for more blood flow.
It reduces also the amount of oxygen your muscles need during activity, meaning beetroot juice is a great ingredient to work into your pre-workout drinks.
In addition, there are several other healthy ingredients, including carrots, apples, ginger, and lemon.
- 3 medium beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and quartered
- An apple, cored and quartered
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Add beets, carrots, apple, and ginger in a juicer or blender and blend. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
Add lemon juice and mix to stir. Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Chocolate Tofu Drink
You don’t need a “sports drink” to refuel after a workout. Regular chocolate milk combined with tofu—both of which contain a mix of carbohydrate and protein—may work just as well.
- ⅓ (10-ounce) block firm tofu
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup skim milk (almond, soy, or coconut milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup ice
Add everything to a blender, and blend until smooth.